Friday 23 January 2015

Big Hero 6's Go Go Tamago

A little while ago, I reviewed Honey Lemon from Disney's Big Hero 6, and today, I have another member of that team, Go Go Tamago! Go Go was a Christmas gift from my husband, and I am very glad to have her, especially since they're already getting pretty tricky to find. This move really deserves more merchandise that it's getting I think, especially when taken against Disney's last big movie, Frozen, which is probably over-merchandised.


Anyway, that's a discussion for another time, so let's get onto the doll! I really loved Honey Lemon, so I could hardly wait to get my hands on Go Go!




As with Vandala, I was too excited to open her on Christmas morning, so I took quick box photos of her under the tree! Her box is very similar to Honey's, simple but graphic.


I did a quick video review, so check it out if you're interested!


And here she is! She'll be on a stand through most of this review, since the fact that she's on wheels kind of makes it tricky to get her to stand up! My overall first impression of her is just COOL. From the look on her face, down through her outfit, she just looks really cool.


Her helmet takes a big more elbow grease to get off than Honey's, and the visor doesn't come up quite as far, but it's still very cool. It's yellow, with a point on the back and orange circles on the side. I like the point on the back because it really makes her look like she's going fast!


Without the helmet, we can get a good look at Go Go's sassy face. I love her bright purple eyeshadow and her side-glancing eyes. Combined with her lopsided smirk, Go Go definitely has attitude! I know I've said it before, but I really do love how well Disney does these character faces. This doll looks so much like the character in the movie, and really captures her personality as well.

Her hair is a pretty simple bob with bangs, mostly black with a few large, bright purple streaks. There is a lot of styling product in this hair, which is to be expected with a short hairstyle. However, I did wash it out, and it held the style just fine!


Outfit-wise, Go Go is wearing a black body suit with yellow armour on her chest.


The armour is easily removable, and reveals more of the simple style of the body suit. It's also worth pointing out here that Go Go's body looks a bit different! Her hips and thighs definitely look wider, which gives her a curvy look that matches the look she has in the movie. As we'll see later though, this isn't actually a change in the body of the doll, but rather it's thanks to padding in the suit. I think this is pretty ingenious, actually, just like giving Honey Lemon new, longer legs, but leaving her torso the same as other Disney dolls. Super clever way to gives these dolls a different look, without having to create whole new body molds for them!


Something else you may have notice in the previous photo, is that my Go Go actually came with a rip in her body suit. It's right where the armour comes together, so I imagine it probably got caught somewhere in the manufacturing process. With the armour on, it's not really visible though, so it's not a huge deal.


Without her clothes, it's obvious that Go Go has the same body as the regular Disney dolls, with one notable exception. Her arms are armoured! It makes sense now that I think about it, because it would be pretty tricky to make armour this small, and still have her articulation function, but I didn't even notice until I'd taken her out of the box! You can also see that she's got...crazy legs. This is a fairly common problem with Disney store dolls, since both options they have for knee joints are kind of awful, and the hinged joint often leads to wacky legs. This is actually a pretty easy fix though. I dipped Go Go's leg in near-boiling water for a few seconds to heat up the vinyl, then strapped her leg to a rigid wooden spoon overnight, and voila! No more crazy legs!


Excuse the bad phone photo, but look how straight her legs are now! I'm glad it was an easy fix, because she stands so much better now, even on her wheels!


The two fabulous ladies of Big Hero 6, together at last! I really love how they look together, and it really highlights how good of a job Disney did tweaking the bodies of these dolls. Honey towers over Go Go with her long, skinny legs, and Go Go looks like she's all strength, ready to take off. For comparison, here's a picture of how they look in the movie:


Pretty good, right? I wouldn't mind having their "civilian" clothes too, honestly, especially Honey's glasses and Go Go's little leather jacket.


Even with the little things, like the rip in her outfit, I really love this doll! I would have liked it if Disney had actually made a thicker doll body, with wider hips and thighs, but I also understand the variety of reasons they chose not to do that, and I think they really came up with a great, creative solution. Go Go looks so much like her character in the movie, and she just oozes personality. It really saddens me that these dolls are gone from the website already, and are pretty sparsely available in Disney stores, because they deserve better. As much as I love Disney, they're pretty bad with marketing movies to boys OR girls, but not both, and I think this is a symptom of that problem. An action figure can be fore a boy or a girl, but making a doll? That's definitely something that is going to aimed more towards girls (not that I agree with that either!), and that muddies the waters a bit. Big Hero  is a really great movie for anyone regardless of gender, and I wish that more toy companies realized that you can and should market and merchandise without such strict gender boundaries!

Anyways, that could be a whole post on it's own, honestly! I have a lot of feelings :) What do you think of Go Go Tamago, here? Will she be wheeling her way into your collection, if you can get your hands on her?

3 comments:

  1. Huh, I haven't been following the merchandise for Big Hero 6 very closely, so it really surprises me to hear that they're only doing dolls of these characters instead of action figures - this seems like it would be a perfect property to have both! Or at least to have more action figure-esque dolls. That's a real missed opportunity!

    Still, this is a nice looking doll, and I enjoyed seeing your photos of her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, they did action figures too, of all the characters! http://www.disneystore.com/big-hero-6/mn/1025018/ But they only made dolls of the girls, Honey and Go Go.

      Delete